Saturday, August 29, 2009

genetically engineered foods


If you are wanting to know what genetically engineered foods are and how they can affect our health, a great website is www.truefoodnow.org. There's a tab labeled GE Food and they even have a shopper's guide.

Personally, I don't know how one could NOT consume at least some GE foods in their diet. This practice was introduced in 1997 and the US does not require labeling of these foods. After reading The Unhealthy Truth, I realize that many of our food allergies could be coming from this practice, but I also realize genetics may play a part. At this point, my daughter already has a dangerous food allergy, so all I can do now is learn to deal with it and help her learn as well.

Does the fact that if some scientist crosses a tomato plant with peanut protein to "make it healthier and/or more resistant to pesticides," and then my daughter unknowingly eats one of those tomatoes scare me? Yes it does. Can't we at least have labels, FDA??

No comments:

Post a Comment