Monday, August 10, 2009

back to school


It's back to school time around here, which means new shoes, new backpacks, and more than likely, a new type of flu bug. Though I know I will have critics galore, we're skipping the flu shot this year. Lia, my oldest, has never had one....and has never had the flu. In fact, she missed only one day last year due to sickness, which ended up being a case of food poisoning. And then there's Brynn...my asthmatic, food allergic child. In the years past, she has received her flu shot, doctor's orders. And she got sick anyway. Alot.

This year, we're trying probiotics instead. The girls are already chewing one a day, grape flavored, tastes like a sweet-tart. They typically ask if they can have two. Probiotics put healthy bacteria into your system. Having the right bacteria helps keep your immune system strong and therefore, enables your body to fight infections easier. Other proven benefits include: improving your digestion, producing vitamins, lowering cholesterol levels, and regulating hormones, so yeah, I take them, too!

Again, it is vital to have a healthy diet and to get as many nutrients from your food sources as possible. Food sources of probiotics include yogurt, cottage cheese, kefir, sauerkraut, pickles, tofu, wine, and sourdough bread. However, alot of these foods don't contain certain strains of probiotics that are beneficial, which is why people take a supplement. Just make sure it's a reputable one, not a cheapy one.

So I'm using my children as lab rats this year, testing out the probiotic theory. I have high hopes we'll fair better than past, flu shot years. I'll let you know the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment