Monday, February 22, 2010

Tuna and White Bean Salad


This recipe is from Beachbody and is very versatile if you want to improvise from the original. It's a great source of protein and fiber, and incredibly tasty as well.

2 6-oz. cans water packed tuna
2 cups canned white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 red onion, chopped
1 cucumber, chopped
2 plum tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup canned or jarred artichoke hearts, chopped (reduce olive oil used in dressing if artichokes are marinated in oil)
1 bunch parsley, stemmed and chopped
1 tsp. fresh rosemary, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix first eight ingredients (tuna through rosemary) in a large bowl. Whisk together garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt & pepper. Add dressing to large bowl and toss together. Serves 4. (For extra zip and fiber, serve on a bed of raw arugula or spinach leaves.)

I really had to improvise because I did not have on hand cucumbers, tomatoes, parsley, or rosemary. So I dug through the fridge for veggies that needed used up. In with my tuna and beans, I mixed chopped red pepper, snap peas, a few diced carrots and the called for onion and artichoke hearts. Unfortunately, I had no fresh herbs, but the recipe was still good. The dressing really makes it work with anything you have on hand.

As prepared from the original recipe, one serving has 372 calories, 12 grams of fat (though it's the heart healthy kind from the olive oil), 40 grams of carbs, 11 grams of fiber, and 33 grams of protein.

1 comment:

  1. I finally tried this today and it was sooo yummy. I used red peppers instead of tomato because I had them here. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete